All of a child’s early experiences, whether at home, in child care, or in other preschool settings are educational. The indicators of high quality care have been studied and are available in many formats. When care is consistent, emotionally supportive, and appropriate to the child’s age, development, and temperament, there is a positive affect on children and families.
Depending on each child’s needs, benefits of high quality child care can include:
- Enhanced brain growth and child development
- Greater success in school (better math and language skills)
- Better cognition, social skills, interpersonal relationships, and self-regulation
- Decreased need for special education and related services later
- Lower adolescent pregnancy rates and lower juvenile crime
- Higher graduation rates